Sunday, June 17, 2012

The African Bug

In July of 2010, I embarked on an incredible journey to Kenya to volunteer for three weeks. It is hard to put into words the amazing experience I had. I spent my time traveling with Jamey Ponte, president of the Kids In Kenya Fund.
    While I was in Kenya, Jamey commented to me that I might catch the “African bug”. At first, I was worried about this bug because out of the 5 shots I received for my trip none of them covered the African bug. Great. Not only did I have to worry about wild animals, snakes, and mosquitoes, now I had to also worry about the “African bug”. Luckily, Jamey was nice enough to explain to me what the African bug really was. He said that once you visit Kenya you catch the “bug” of wanting to come back. Well, he was right. At least this is one “bug” I wanted to catch.
    As I boarded my plane to head home in August of 2010, I had definitely caught the “bug”. I hoped and prayed that one day I would be able to make it back to Kenya. Now, two years later, that day has arrived!
    In one week I will begin the journey back to Kenya. Did I mention that it is a LONG journey? 3 planes. 4 stops. 18 hours in the air. 24 hours of travel. I want to do that again? I must be crazy. At least this time, I am bringing along five other people willing to endure the long journey for an incredible experience in Kenya: my fiance Brian, my brother Mike, his girlfriend and veterinarian Katy, Mary Jane, the nurse from St. Susanna, and Mary Jane’s adventurous friend Linda. I am looking forward to sharing this amazing journey with them.
    I am hoping to have the opportunity to blog about the trip again. I want to send back a little piece of Kenya to my friends and family back home. Please keep all six of us in your prayers over the next few weeks. Thank you to everyone, especially the St. Susanna School community, for helping make this trip possible.

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you and all your companions a very wonderful and blessed adventure. We will keep you all in our prayers. I can't wait to read your blog posts. Thanks for letting us travel along with you. Elaine J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be praying for you! And looking forward to reading your blogs about the trip. Blessings on your journey...Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're thinking of you and Mary Jane and praying for a safe travels. May God bless you all on this incredible journey. The Bakos family

    ReplyDelete