Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Countdown Begins

It finally hit me that in just a 7 days I will be boarding a plane to travel to the other side of the world. Goodbye comfy bed, warm shower, drinkable tap water, electricity, television, and all other American plush living. Hello tent guarded by a warrior, NO shower, warm bottled water, boiled goat and rice meals, and zero amenities. What am I thinking?? Did I experience some lapse in judgement when I signed up for the trip? Am I crazy?


Once my minor panic attack passes after a few deep, soothing breaths I realize that I am ready to step out of my Mason bubble and open my eyes to the world around me. I can’t wait to begin my journey in Kenya. I hope that I will be able to post some pictures and thoughts during my trip so that I can share my experiences with all of you.


Before I leave I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has offered me support as I prepared for my trip. A huge thank you to everyone that made a donation and attended my fundraisers. A special thank you goes to my Direct Sales group for their help in organizing fundraisers at Skyline and at our Quarter Auction. I also appreciate all the words of encouragement and prayers everyone has offered for me. It is an amazing feeling to know that I have so much love and support from my family and friends.


The countdown to Kenya has begun. Look out Kenya, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ann,
    We work in Kibera with youth at the Kibera Film School. Jamey Ponte knows our work.
    We have a small replacement bulb for a projector that is not available in Kenya. Can we ship it to you immediately? IF SO, please send your full name, address, telephone number to info@hotsunfoundation.org and we will courier it tomorrow WED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Rettig: This is Lauren Statzer. I hope you have a good time in Kenya. I will follow your adventure here. I miss you and look forward to seeing you when school starts.
    Love and prayers~
    your former student and 2nd grader at St. Sue
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete