Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Masai Mara

On Monday night we headed out into the Masai Mara. I don’t think I ever could have prepared myself appropriately for the trip. Surprisingly there were “roads” most of the way but these roads would not hold up to American standards. Many times we drove off the side of the road because it was smoother than the potholes on the road. Along the way we saw some gazelles, wildebeests, and giraffes. The two giraffes were just a few feet from the car…it was amazing! We arrived to our camp in almost pitch dark. It was at this point that I realized that I was out in the middle of nowhere with no way home. To tell you the truth I was scared out of my mind. It was overwhelming to realize that I would be sharing my campsite with wild animals. I felt a little better after meeting the warriors that were going to be watching the tent at night. But, I don’t think I got that much sleep the first night!

I have come to realize that life on Mara moves at its own pace….very, very slowly. I am used to the fast paced American life- schedules, appointments, and deadlines. This is the un-American life. We eat, sit around, drink some tea, eat again, take a walk, sit, and eat again. Did you notice the trend of eating? I think I eat more here than I do at home. My first morning in the Mara I was survived French Toast and we even had Maple syrup (brought from the states of course). I am bummed my camera is not hooking up to the computer correctly. I took a picture to post so my mom doesn’t get worried that I will starve here. Really, no worries Mom, Mama Cynthia is feeding me plates and plates of food.

Sometimes I wonder how they can get anything done with how slowly they seem to accomplish things. The things they need to get done, though, are much different from our tasks. The Mara have so much pride in their way of life. If we try to Americanize them it would ruin everything. Mama Cynthia, for example, spends most of her day cooking our meals but it is not a burden for her. She finds joy and happiness in being able to cook for us. As Americans, we should take some lessons from the Mara on finding pleasure in the simple way of life.

So, as you would suspect, our business here moves very slowly. We are planning with the head chief, Peter, on building a campground that will be run by the villages. Usually a meeting like this would take a few hours, but here it will take us 4 days. Jamey and I are the first ones to stay in this proposed campground. They have built a Latrine in preparation for the tented part of the camp. We walked some of Peter’s land to make plans for the guest houses. I told Jamey that I would return to the Mara once the camp was built so that I can see the end result. Who knows when that will be considering how slowly things go here.

Tomorrow we are going on a game drive to see some animals. I am looking forward to becoming a tourist for a few hours and snapping some photos of some animals.

5 comments:

  1. So... seeing as to how the camera isnt working so well... can you give us a good verbal description of the warrior? :) So curious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds so exciting, scary, fun, different, awesome, wonderful. I hope we can see pictures. Giraffes right next to the car? Amazing. I want to come over tomorrow for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eating trend sounds like my house with two little kids: Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Not much gets accomplished with little ones around, but we never go hungry. If that's how life is there, you're probably enjoying yourself. Hopefully you get a nap in, too.

    Also wanted to tell you that Mom's surgery went well and there was no cancer. All is well. Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experiences sound amazing. Life changing events for you, I'm sure. Keep writing...I love reading your updates! John was amazed that giraffes were so close to your car. Stay safe and God bless!

    Renee Fischer (and John)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann:
    You have done a great job of documenting your experience in Africa. I really admire you for taking on this journey. It really makes me appreciate what we have and what our students have. I would love to help you with any projects you have in mind to help the schools you have visited. Can't wait to hear more about it from you in person! Have a safe journey home.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete