Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Change happens


As I returned to Kenya I assumed that nothing would have changed. Kenyans lead such a simple life that I assumed that things would move very slowly here. As we drove to Narok and then to Ole Keene I was completely surprised to find that everything has changed. I don’t think it has changed quite at the pace that we change in the U.S. but things have changed.
Last time I was here the road to Narok was bumpy and filled with potholes. Not this time. The road looked similar to an American road. It was actually a smooth journey for us! Even when we left Narok and headed into the bush I was surprised to find that we drove on a paved road for a long time before we hit the rough roads.  
Our first stop in the Maasai Mara was Ole Keene. I spent most of my time on my last trip in Ole Keene.  Last trip, we camped out in the bush at a site that was going to be the future campground supporting the village. I was one of the first Americans to stay on the campground. We had a tent, a fire, some logs to sit on, and a latrine with a hole. As we arrived this time to Mara Explorers Camp, we pulled up to a reception area that was as big as a mobile home. It had picnic tables, pool tables, couches, and even a stocked bar! I was shocked to see how much the campground had changed. The campground had tents with beds, latrines with toilet seats and a running sink, and showers! The most impressive thing was that the area had been fenced in. I spent many nights last trip lying awake hoping that the wild animals wouldn’t get us. This time I had no worries. After all my stories of sleeping on the ground in the middle of nowhere the others traveling with me were shocked as well. I am glad to see that the camp is successful and I hope that it continues to support the village. If you need a place to stay in Kenya with easy access to game drives then you should check out Mara Explorers Camp.
After two nights in Ole Keene (one unexpected due to rain) we headed to Aitong. Jamey is working in Aitong to create another camp. Eventually he is hoping to set up a hospital. Once again I was surprised by the changes. He has put up official safari tents, a dining hall, a latrine, shower, and house. Much better accomdations!
Since the passing of the Constitution in July 2010, the land is also starting to change. Many people are putting up more fences to mark their land. It almost looks Americanized with fences around each person’s land.
We have a few more nights in Aitong before we head back to Narok to begin our journey home. The Internet is not very good out here so I have not been able to blog as much. I guess I will have to add some posts after I return home. We have also heard here that is 100 degrees in Ohio and some bad storms have come through. We hope everyone is doing well! 

4 comments:

  1. Very glad to hear from you. We are all well but sweltering in 100 degree temps. Lots of tree limbs down from storms but no major damage. Enjoy your last few days there. Love to all, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Rettig, it sounds like you are having fun and doing good work. Do they have tv there? I hope you can play some pool. I hope you have a safe trip! Nicole Mech

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann:
    Great update! It sounds like your accommodations are much better than your last trip. Stay safe and looking forward to your next posting.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - Never a dull moment, huh? Glad things are improving in Kenya. Have a safe trip. We look forward to the photos!!
    The Pucko Family

    ReplyDelete