Friday, July 13, 2012

Kenyan Reflections

    On Monday night, we all arrived safely back to American soil. After two days of seeing the inside of planes and airport terminals we were all SO excited to arrive home. After two weeks of roughing it in Kenya we couldn’t wait to return to our homes. Traveling to a foreign country really makes you appreciate what you have. The majority of Kenyans live each day with no running water, no electricity, an outhouse, one tiny stove on top of gas tank, and a small one or two bedroom mud house. Experiencing their way of living really makes me appreciate the modern conveniences we enjoy in America. Indoor plumbing, electricity, a refrigerator, stove, couch, shower, and bed are HEAVEN after being in Kenya.  Being in Kenya for two weeks did show me that I could survive without a lot of things...cell phone, television, and a computer....although I did need to check in on the computer every once in a while to let people know I was still alive. Kenya reminded me that there are necessities that improve your way of life but there are also many things that I can do without. It is up to me to keep a balance in my life and surround myself with family and friends and not things.
    Last time I went to Kenya I had many “ah-ha” moments to share. This time, I asked my travel companions to provide their thoughts about anything they found memorable about the trip. Many of them were shocked by their living conditions especially in the slums. It is hard to see them living in tin shacks packed together. Trash covers the ground and contaminated water runs through the area. It was hardest for us to see the kids without shoes running through the streets. Your heart goes out to all those that survive in those conditions.
    Many of those traveling with me were also impressed with how close we came to the animals. My brother commented that he felt like he was in Jurassic Park (minus the dinosaurs). We would drive around and once we caught sight of an animal we would pull up right next to them. We watched lions from 15 feet away as they lounged in the grass. We then watched as all 6 of them got up and walked to the creek. We followed them in our car and pulled up right next to the creek as they drank water. All they had to do was turn around and jump and they would have been inside our car! We also had a close encounter with elephants. We pulled up to a group of elephants that were hanging out in the bushes eating. One of the elephants was a baby, about 1 month old. Our guide, Steve, turned off the car and we watched the baby elephant interact with an adult about 10 feet away. While we are watching Steve tells us that elephants are very dangerous and even MORE dangerous when there is a baby. Yikes! We watched as the baby hung out between the legs of the adult. It let out a squeal and then all the elephants came charging over and surrounded the baby. Luckily, Steve turned on the car and moved us out of the way. It is absolutely crazy to know you were 10 feet away from a wild animal.
    Mary Jane wrote a great reflection about the trip. I hope she doesn’t mind me publishing it! Here is what she wrote:
Before leaving for Kenya I expected to see and experience certain things:  exotic animals, grasslands and mountains, and perhaps some people dressed in traditional clothing.  What I didn't expect were the sharp contrasts I saw between old and new, rich and poor and the questions I would ask myself upon returning to the US.
Kibera was a place for which I never could have been prepared.  The poverty was overwhelming and yet the smiling faces and greetings of the children living there caught me off guard.  They seemed happy.  It made me think about American children with all of our material things and wonder what brings true happiness.  I found myself a little envious of the sense of community I saw when walking about with our "guides" as they greeted countless friends and relatives on the street.
Out in Narok and the Mara I was surprised to see traditionally dressed Masai men in shukas and warrior clubs huddled around motorcycles.  Cell phones seemed to be everywhere, too.  The sound of bells on the cows and goats as they were led in for the night was something I never tired of hearing. Although they have what to us would be hard lives, the Mara people have many social and family connections and seemed quite peaceful and content.  Once again, I felt like I was missing out on something.
Now that I'm back at home I find myself thinking mostly of the Kenyan people I met, not the wild animals nor the magnificent landscape.

1 comment:

  1. Ann and Mary Jane:
    Great summary of your experience - it sounded amazing! I have great respect for you and your group taking on this journey. It is certainly something not all of us could do. Can't wait to hear more and see some pictures when we are back at school. Congratulations on a successful trip!

    ReplyDelete