Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kenyan Cuisine

When I prepared to leave for Kenya I was very concerned about what I would be eating on my trip. I do not really like unusual food so I was nervous that I would have to hold my nose and force down so unidentifiable foods. Luckily, I have had the good fortune to eat foods I can identify that are (mostly) good. I have learned here that is rude to refuse food because I would be insulting the cook. My bowl, therefore, is loaded with food and I am asked often if I would like additions (seconds). If I say no, the cook looks at me until I give in. I have eaten more here than I do at home. Here are some of the foods I have eaten while I have been here:

  1. Lots and lots of rice. Rice is served with lunch and dinner. I think I’ve eaten enough rice to last me a long time.
  2. Fried Chicken: Just as good as home!
  3. Beef and goat. The meat is made into a stew and sometimes mixed with vegetables. Goat does not taste bad but I do not like some of the seasonings they use on it.
  4. Sheep meat on a skewer: pretty good actually
  5. Ugali: Tastes and looks like playdough. It is made from Maize. I have eaten white and brown Ugali. I try my best to stay away from it but since I don’t want to insult the cook I usually have to eat some.
  6. Mondazi: Almost like a square donut without any glaze. I like these and sometimes we eat it for breakfast.
  7. Chapati: Like a pancake but thinner and a little greasy. I ate these sometimes for breakfast.
  8. Fruit: The fruit here is all local and tastes fantastic. I’ve had bananas, oranges, pineapple, and passion fruits. Fruit is always served at the end of the meal. The pineapple here is awesome. It is so juicy. The best snack I have had is pineapple on a stick.
  9. Chips (French fries) I was surprised that they serve them here but it was good to get something other than rice. I really liked when we had chips and eggs. This was yummy!
  10. French Toast: Even had maple syrup from Kroger!
  11. Sugar cane: You chew it and then spit it out once the juice is gone. My teeth are not as strong as a native’s, I have hard time getting to the stuff you can chew.
  12. Eggs: Scrambled, fried, or hard-boiled.
  13. Spaghetti: Usually mixed with vegetables and a packet of soup mix. We made this many times over the campfire.

Although I don’t mind the food I am looking forward to going home and eating American food. It has been awhile since I have eaten anything off of a plate. Everything here is mixed together in a bowl and eaten with a spoon. I also wouldn’t mind eating at dining table either.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, please bring a truckload of pineapples home.
    They sound delicious. Enjoy your last couple of days. I am anxious to hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete