Monday, August 2, 2010

Kenyan Drivers

For the first time since arriving in Kenya, I found myself fearing for my life. No, it was not because I came into close contact with a wild animal or got harassed at a police checkpoint. It was because a Kenyan was driving the car. I hope I do not offend any Kenyans with this post about driving. I know that there are some Americans that cannot drive either but the driving I witnessed yesterday was unlike anything I have seen before. During the day, this Kenyan driver who will remain nameless, does a fair job of driving with only a little problem with backing up. But, as the sun set the Kenyan’s driving took on a new look. Instead of driving on the left side of the road he would swerve almost all the way over into the other lane. Then as a car approached he would flick his lights several times and then gradually move back into his lane. Unfortunately he would never quite make it over into his lane but instead would ride the centerline. Many times, Jamey and I would tell him to get over into his lane but he would not listen to our advice. To make matters worse, he would slow down almost to a stop as he passed a vehicle. You must remember that there aren’t any streetlights lighting our way as we drive so it is almost pitch black out except for the headlights of cars. I felt so bad for the people in the cars coming toward us. I am sure they thought some maniac drunk was behind the wheel. As you might guess, his process of swerving to the other line, riding the center line and slowing down almost to a stop created a very long and nerve-wreaking journey for the two Americans in the car. When we finally arrived at our destination both Jamey and I exited the car very quickly, wanting to kiss the ground in thanksgiving that we were still alive, and approached each other with the same thought in our heads – I need a beer! I have warned Jamey that if we are driving at night I will refuse to get into the car if a Kenyan is behind the wheel. One night of fearing for my life in Kenya is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Where are the warriors when you need them??

    ReplyDelete