Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Kisii Celebration

After a long day of driving, fixing the brakes in Kisii, and shopping for Soapstone figures we finally arrived at our destination in Kisii South almost 6 hours later than we were expected. When we arrived a huge crowd was there to greet us. They had been waiting all day for our arrival. I have never experienced a welcome like this one. A hundred or so people cheered as we got out of the car. I was instantly surrounded by people hugging me and shaking my hand. A band played some traditional African music to celebrate our arrival. We were then seated for the program, which consisted of many people thanking us for coming, school children performing songs and poems, and a band performing music for us. It was incredible.

After nearly two hours of celebrating we were taken to the school to eat dinner. I thought that things would begin to settle down and our evening would come to an end. Boy, was I wrong. We were taken back for more celebrating, which went on for 2 more hours! At one point, the generator kicked off and the lights went out. I have never been so happy for the lights to go out. Unfortunately within 5 minutes they had it up and running again and the celebrating continued. The funniest part of the whole evening was when the School Commission gathered us for a meeting during the celebration. Imagine trying to have a business meeting in a loud bar with a band playing while sitting next to the speaker. Then, add to it the language barrier and this would be our meeting. Finally, after we were nearly frozen and falling asleep we were finally taken to our tents to rest. As I drifted off to sleep I could still hear the music playing. I really think they continued to celebrate all night. Kisii people know how to party!

The next morning we woke up, had breakfast and then toured one of the schools that Kids in Kenya is supporting. The village has begun building a new school but ran out of funds to finish it. They are hoping that Kids in Kenya can help them finish the building. For now, the kids are going to school in Iron sheet buildings with dirt floors and one chalkboard. It was hard to see the conditions they deal with so that they can learn. As a teacher it is hard to imagine teaching in an iron sheet house.

Then, as you might have guessed, we were taken back to the field for more celebrating (I’m not kidding). I think that some of the children stayed there overnight. We listened to some more singing and dancing and then everyone said their goodbyes. I have decided that this is the longest celebration I have ever attended. It was both a strange and wonderful experience in Kisii…but an experience that I will never, ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment